Saturday 26 January 2008

All in Order

Two days ago I finally made my orders for seeds, potatoes, onions and garlic that I want to grow this year. It has taken me a few weeks to decide on what to actually grow, the variety and quantity (I don't want to run out of earth space).

My final list was as follows:-

Seeds
Runner bean White Lady
Sprouts Maximus
Courgette Defender
Cucumber Burpless Tasty Green
Leeks Bandit
Corn salad Cavalio
Land Cress
Peas Greensage
Pepper Gypsy
Perpetual spinach
Swede Magres
Salad leaves
Tomato Moneymaker
Tomato Super Marmande
Tomato Tamina

Potatoes
Ulster Sceptre - First Early
Charlotte - Second Early
Lady Balfour - Early Main
Cara - Late Main

Onions
Sturon
Red Baron

Garlic
Thermidrome

I have some seeds left over from last year that I want to see if they germinate. They are:-

parsnip, beetroot, carrot, chilli, broccoli, cauliflower and garlic chives

Looking down my lists I wonder if I will have enough space to grow everything and now that the allotment is taking shape and the beds are now defined, part of me would like to have a bigger plot so that we can grow even more. However, I have been reading up on how to extend the growing seasons so I am going to give it a go and see if I can utilise the ground even more and have crops in all 4 seasons.

In the meantime I need to clear the greenhouse shelf so that I can get planting the seeds into trays early-mid February.

Meanwhile I wait for the postman.

No comments: